When we reached Budapest on the train we headed back to the Back Pack Guesthouse which we had stayed at previously, the hippy friendly place. Upon arrival they asked for our passports. It was at this point that I realised the final thing I had forgotten. My hand bag was still on the train, which travelled on to Belgrade. FUCK. I could repeat this word a hundred times and it really doesn't sum up my feelings at this point. The guy working the front desk disappeared and reappeared a moment later with a beer, which was on the house. FUCK. I can't fucking believe I'd been so careful all trip and the one thing I decided to lose was my fucking passport.
They called the station for me, and we were informed the train had been searched and they had found nothing. We enquired as to how they could possible search the train in the minute we had been on the phone. They said they search the trains at every station. Now we have been travelling Eastern Europe for months now and I have never, ever seen this happen. After much unhelpfulness from the staff, we hung up the phone.
I decided that I was going to have to search the train myself, so we rang them back and probed for more info. Where was the train going next etc. This time they admitted that the train booths were not searched, merely that someone walks up and down the corridors at each stop. Great. The train was due into Belgrade after 1, due to the delays. They gave us the train number and said that exact train was due to turn around and come back at 7am the following day. OK good start.
I called Natasha and Goran and asked them to go down to the station. Upon arrival they were given the third degree and told they would have the police called on them. They wanted to know why I had called them and not the station. *sigh*
So there was only one thing left to do. Get drunk. The hostel was throwing a party that night, complete with pass the parcel and fairy bread. We didn't realise it until the fairy bread came out, but it is in fact a very Australian thing. No one else in the world knew what fairy bread is! You learn something new every day ;)
The hostel common room packed out and the lively party started. Each layer of pass the parcel was peeled away revealing a new drinking game in each. Steve had to have a beer bong and I had to have a shot. Some people had to have upside down beer bongs, with salt in the beer. Yuk. I did however end up with the last prize. Earlier, when I had arrived, Taz who was working there when we were there last was asking me how long should it take someone to eat a lemon. I said 10 seconds. And so the joke was on me when the last prize was to eat the lemon in 10 seconds...
After that we all headed out around 1.30am to a cool DnB club where we drank until about 3.30.
Taz, Steve and I went AWOL from the main group (of about 15 people) and found a small side room that seemed to have the dregs of a private party. We decided to try and look as stupid as possible so we started dancing like idiots. Steve ended up swapping hats with a girl there (pic above) and Taz ended up trying to pick one of them up.
When we left we visited the famous Langos lady (anyone who visits Hungary MUST eat Langos)
This pic makes them look uber yuk - and they are for your tummy the next day, especially mine.
They start as a large piece of uncooked dough. Donut dough. And they cook them in front of you. It puffs up and becomes a large donut, the size of a small pizza. I had mine with sour cream and cheese (pictured on the left) and Steve had his with bolognaise and cheese (right). But they are oh so tasty.
No comments:
Post a Comment